East San Jose was also the name of a small former city that sat to the east of San Jose, which was annexed by the City of San Jose in 1911. The 1910 US Census recorded a population of 1,661. Before World War II, East San Jose
was a small section of San Jose located on the east banks
of the Guadalupe River and west of today's U.S. Route 101. After World War II, the area saw rapid development, along with much of the Santa Clara Valley.